Pilot Requirements & Application
Letter to Prospective Pilots [Download]
- Be at least 21-years of age
- Provide transportation at no cost to AFC or those who AFC serves as an in-kind donation; and do so as a volunteer, not as an agent, servant or employee of AFC.
- Hold, at minimum, a current and valid FAA Private Pilot’s Certificate as required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), United States of America.
- Hold a current and valid FAA Medical Certificate, as required by the FAA
- Instrument Rating (highly desired, not required)
- Meet the FAA currency and experience requirements for flights flown under your certification(s) and rating(s); as required by the FAA and the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs)
- 250 hours Pilot-in-Command (PIC) Time and 500 hours Total Time or 250 PIC and FAA Commercial Certificate
- Log 8-hours as PIC in previous 90 days or 2 hours of dual with a certified flight instructor in the previous 90 days or 4 hours as PIC in the previous 30 days prior to a flight with an AFC passenger. This requirement is for the current category, class and type of aircraft that will be used for flying AFC passengers.
- 25 hours in make and model for single-engine and 50 hours in make and model for multi-engine/turbo-prop/jet
- Assure aircraft is worthy; as defined by FAR’s
- Carry $1 million total with $100,000+ per seat liability insurance or equivalent Non-Owned Aircraft Liability Policy; if aircraft policy does not cover the pilots.
- Complete the AOPA Air Safety Institute online course, “Public Benefit Flying: Balancing Safety and Compassion“
- Pilot self-certifies meeting all FAA and AFC Requirements when requesting a flight and before each AFC flight
- For Pilots 80-yrs-old and older, agree to have a safety pilot on board the aircraft for any AFC flight as part of a two-pilot crew. As PIC, you will verify the safety pilot’s flying credentials. The safety pilot must be less than 80 years old.
- Submit proof of all documents required within 30 days of application
- Annually agree to meet all current AFC Volunteer Pilot Requirements and to fly at least one AFC flight within each 24 months period.
Volunteer Pilot Agreement with AFC Requirements (Download)